Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DeitY) initiated Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) through a gazetted order during end of 2012 and brought in 15 product categories under this mandatory compliance scheme. Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) was the implementation agency. Market surveillance is implemented by DeitY on its own and has appointed different companies for picking samples according to its instructions. Under this program of CRO, it is mandatory for the manufacturers of these products to get a Mandatory Registration Number from BIS and affix a Self Declaration Statement on the subject product + packaging. BIS has clarified that, this registration scheme is for the factory which produces these products and not for Brand Owners or Importers. Factories need to get their products tested at laboratories which are recognized by BIS, get a compliance test report, complete the mandatory documentation like Form VI, Nomination Letter etc.
What is Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS)
- Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DeitY) has notified "Electronics and Information Technology Goods (Requirement for Compulsory Registration) Order, 2012" on 3 Oct 2012 for fifteen categories of electronics items. Another 15 product categories were added by DeitY under this order on 13 Nov 2014.
- As per the Order, no person shall manufacture or store for sale, import, sell or distribute goods which do not conform to the Indian standard specified in the order. Manufacturers of these products are required to apply for registration from Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) after getting their product tested from BIS recognized labs.
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) then registers the manufacturers under its registration scheme who are permitted to declare that their articles conform to the Indian Standard (s).
The registered manufacturers are then allowed to use the words ?Self declaration? conforming to IS ...(corresponding Indian Standard number) along with R-XXXXXXXX(Registration number)? and/or put the Standard Mark notified by the Bureau.
- Compulsory Registration Scheme is operated under Chapter IVA of BIS Rules 1987.
Simple steps for Registration
- Applicants are required to apply online for grant of Registration.
- Test reports issued from labs recognized by BIS under CRS to be submitted with application.
- All foreign applicants having no liaison office or branch office located in India have to appoint Authorized Indian Representative(AIR) as per the guidelines issued by BIS in the prescribed nomination form.
- Authorized Indian Representatives of applicants located outside India have to submit an affidavit cum undertaking as per Format A/Format B as mentioned in the guidelines.
- All applicants located in India have to submit an affidavit cum undertaking as per Format C.
- Fee to be deposited as per the fee structure for CRS.
- Fill the application form(Form VI) online. Refer the checklist of documents to be submitted along with the application form.
- Hard copies of application to be submitted within 15 days of online submission of the application. In case of non-receipt of hard copies of application within fifteen days of online submission, the application will be treated as closed.1
- BIS will scrutinize the applications. (Refer some of the commonly observed shortcomings observed by BIS during scrutiny of application.)
- All queries on the application will be raised by BIS online and have to be replied by applicants online.
- The shortcomings communicated have to be complied by the applicant without any delay.
- The applicant will be responsible for overall delay in Grant of Registration in case of incomplete application and delayed response to queries.
- Once query is satisfactorily resolved and affidavit cum undertaking has been submitted, Registration is granted by BIS.
- The grant of Registration letter will be uploaded on the applicant's portal.2
- Registered manufacturers can request for inclusion of new models of the same product and brand under same registration number. For details on inclusion, click here.
- Registration is initially granted for 2 years which has to be renewed after every 2 years. For details on renewal, click here.
- Refer to guidelines for use of Standard Mark and labelling requirements under BIS Compulsory Registration Scheme for Electronic and IT Products, after Grant of Registration.
PRESENT LIST OF PRODUCT CATEGORIES COVERED UNDER CRS
- Electronic Games
- Plasma/LED/LCD Televisions of screen size 32" & above
- Optical Disc Players with built-in amplifiers of input power 200W and above
- Microwave Ovens
- Visual Display Units, Video Monitors of Screen Size 32" & above
- Printers, Plotters
- Wireless Keyboards
- Telephone Answering Machines
- Amplifiers with input power 2000W and above
- Electronics Musical Systems with input power 200W and above
- Electronic Clocks with Mains power
- Set Top Box
- Automatic Data Processing Machines
- Power Adapters for IT Equipment
- Power Adapters for Audio, Video and similar Electronic Apparatus
- UPS/Inverters of rating <5kVA
- DC or AC supplied Electronic Control gear for LED Modules
- Sealed Secondary Cells/Batteries containing Alkaline or other non-acid electrolytes for use in portable appliances
- Self-Ballasted LED Lamps for General Lighting Services
- Fixed general Purpose LED Luminaries
- Mobile Phones Cash Registers
- Point of Sale Terminals
- Copying Machines / Duplicators
- Smart Card readers
- Mail Processing Machines / Postage Machines / Franking Machines
- Passport Reader
- Power Banks for use in portable applications